Science Technology Society vs Textbook-Based Instruction
Yager, Robert E. Journal of Elementary Science Education, Vol. 21, No.2 pp. 15-24 Spring 2009. Document and Public Services, Western Illinois University.
This article is based on a type of experiment that took place amongst teachers in Iowa. It has spread to many other areas sense. Basically what happened was a group of about 30 teachers took a seminar on how to make their classroom more technology based. They had different sessions of learning and experimenting one is 2-4 weeks in the summer and two are 3 days in the spring and fall. At these sessions or conventions the teaches are being taught new technology and later becoming very successful in the classroom. Since the first trial of this there have been over 225 teachers enrolled each year over the past decade. This has proven to be very successful. Every year the most successful teachers then go on to teach the newer beginning learners how to be successful with technology in the classroom.
This program then did a test to see if STS was really much more beneficial in the classroom. They had 15 different teachers teach science with STS and 15 teach without STS. All variables inside the lesson and all lessons were the same. All that differed was the use of technology. They then got results from classroom behavior and tests to compare if STS was really a big deal or worth all the fuss. From the results of 4th-6th grade classes they discovered that concept mastery was reached as required in both settings. However, student attitude, creativity, progress toward reaching the 4 goals for NSES, and deeper learning all had a better score, if you will, at the end of the lesson.
I enjoyed reading this article, it was somewhat long and got a little repetitive, but the results that came up were shocking to me. As I was reading I was expecting the students who were in the non STS classrooms to not master the concepts as quickly or as well as students with STS classrooms. Especially since there is so much talk about how great technology in the classroom is for students. However, as I read on and discovered that deeper learning, better attitudes and so on were all higher scores it all made sense to me. Students who want good grades will still work hard whether they are taught with technology or not, however, all students will better enjoy and in a sense learn more with technology in the classroom. When students have bad attitudes about a subject, they are more likely to tune it out and not listen or learn, but if we, as teachers, make it more engaging and use technology we will keep the students' attention longer and they will learn more than the just the concept that is required in the lesson.
After reading this article I know that if I do not use technology in the classroom, I will still be able to get my students to master the concept given, however, they will not enjoy it as much. I learned more deeply what effect technology really has on students. It helps with creativity, attitude, and much more. I will definitely use technology in my classroom and I think this article is great for persuading teachers to use technology. Teaching is about the students, and although it may be more time consuming making learning fun for the students is better than using a textbook and teaching them to dislike school.
NETS FOR TEACHERS
Facilitate and Inspire Student Learning and Creativity
-The teacher uses their knowledge on the subject to teach in a way that students will advance in learning, creativity and innovation in real and virtual environments. I think this is important because teachers need to be creative and come up with new ways to teach to their students. They also need to encourage their students to be creative. This is important to me because I remember loving classes that were not straight out of the textbook and that actually had activities. I want the students in my class to learn and to enjoy being there. So I think it is important to facilitate and inspire learning and creativity.
1. This semester I will learn new technologies such as the SMART Board so I can use it in the classroom with my students. I want to learn not just the basics but how to include my students so they have fun with the SMART Board also.
2. I will learn creative ways to use technology to teach and make it fun for the students. I will come up with new ways and ideas to teach through learning new technologies.
3. Lastly, this semester I will think about ways that I can include technology in areas that are not necessarily thought of as needing technology. I can also talk to my students and see what they like and if they have ideas on how I can use technology to engage them.
NETS FOR STUDENTS
Critical Thinking, Problem Solving, and Decision Making
I think critical thinking, problem solving and decision making is very important. In many settings today students and even adults find it difficult to make decisions. They are wishy washy and go back and forth on decisions all the time. I think that critical thinking and problem solving help in decision making. They are all three related and work together. I have always enjoyed problem solving and critical thinking and think they are very important. They are not only practical in future decisions such as schools to attend or careers to strive for, but also in decisions made daily, good and bad.
1. One assignment I can give my students is a type of scavenger hunt with clues. The clues can be ones that require critical thinking or problem solving in order to get to the next clue. Also, I can include options of obstacles students choose to take, one can be a short-cut but more complicated, and one can be the longer way but easier and make students decide which road to take. This would take some time and not be a one day event, but rather an activity we spend a little time on each day for a period of time.
2. Another assignment I can have my students do is a science project. One that you use the science steps of hypothesis, experiment etc. This is great to get the students thinking about what the outcome of the experiment is going to be and to follow directions and make decisions throughout the experiment.
Tuesday, February 2, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment