Monday, February 22, 2010
Reflection #4
Skype. This is probably one of the coolest inventions of technology. Two years ago my parents went to Madagascar for missions work. My mother was teaching in a school there for three months. While they were gone there was no way to communicate over the phone (its far too expensive). So we used Skype to talk to each other. If you have a good connection (which often we did not since it was Madagascar and a very poor area) you not only get to talk to the person, but you get to see them. You can also type chat back and forth, if one person does not have sound working. Anyway, Skype was great for me my freshman year when my parents were so far away. It provided a free form of communication and it never seemed like they were that far away from me. Basically, I just think Skype is great and also crazy at the same time. Technology is so advanced you can really do anything with it and through it. I guess the only disadvantage to Skype is you have to be on the internet and also on your computer which could be inconvenient, but how can we complain about the inconvenience of such an amazing invention?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Ashley,
ReplyDeleteYour reflection particularly fascinated me because just yesterday, as we were brainstorming various outreach possibilities, one of my Sunday School kids said, "Let's go to Africa!" The whole class laughed, but then I replied, "You know, with modern day technology we can almost be in Africa by talking to another Sunday school class through Skype." However, I've never actually used Skype before myself so my words were just theory. Your example confirms to me that this is truly possible.
I can imagine we would encounter some inconveniences, like you said, but ultimately it would be an amazing way to connect with someone across the globe. We could have an outreach without ever stepping out of our Sunday School classroom!
Ashley,
ReplyDeleteI love skype too :)! It is so crazy and convenient! Last year one of my best friends was in Australia doing the HIllsong School over there. I remember one particular time when we Skyped and she took the computer around her house and was able to give us a virtual "tour." It was crazy! I could almost experience something that was half way across the world! I agree, Skype is fascinating and super handy :)